Gardening In May | To Do List
Gardening in May | May is probably the best month in the garden as everything starts to take shape, especially the perennials that begin to fill the borders again.
Late Spring blossoming trees provide colour and lots of planting and care can get under way.
- Plant out Tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse.
- Continue to sow hardy annuals and vegetable seeds.
- Beware of cold nights- be ready with the heater!
- Prick out seedlings as they grow.
- Sow many vegetable varieties now.
- Plant out vegetable plants but protect from cold and slugs.
- Keep the weeds down between rows.
- Earth up Early Potatoes.
- Start to feed fish this month.
- Clean out pumps & filters regularly and keep them running.
- Lay new turf
- Mow the lawn, weekly if required
- Apply Spring lawn feeds & weed killer if needed.
- The garden centre is bulging at the sides with trees, shrubs, flowers, fruit and vegetables ready to be planted now.
- Harden off bedding plants in a cold frame or put outside in the day and bring inside at night.
- Beware of slugs!
- Purchase from our range of annual hanging baskets and plant up your own baskets and tubs, but keep in the greenhouse until frosts have gone.
- Feed flower borders with chicken manure orrose feed.
- Plant all types of tree and bush fruit now
- Harvest Rhubard
- Spray fungicide for mildew, especially Gooseberries and for PEach leaf curl
- Mulch Strawberries to keep of pests.
Feed everywhere to put nutrients back into the soil, after the rainy seasons we have had.
- Plant outRhododendrons and Roses now
- Cover particular plants with fleece at sign offrost, e.g. Acers, Pieris and bedding plants.
Here at Mere Park we have everything you need for gardening in May, and every other month for that matter. Check out our wide range of products here.