June Gardening Jobs
The beginning of Summer is now upon us and it's time to continue with those planned projects.
Brighten up borders, plant up hanging baskets and tubs with Summer colour and watch them bloom!
- Thin out hardy annual seedlings sown directly into soil.
- To prevent scorching and over heating of tender young plants, paint the glass using a shade paint
- Feed all plants at least once a week
- Make sure your greenhouse is well ventilated
- Plant cucumbers, melons and peppers.
- Water onions well to ensure the bulbs swell.
- Pinch out tips of Broad Beans to discourage blackfly.
- Feed all plants and water regularly during dry spells.
- Pull up soil around main-crop potatoes.
- Remove blanket weed from ponds by twirling it around a stick.
- Check filters and pumps to ensure they are not blocked.
- Plant Summer bedding
- Fill window boxes, troughs and hanging baskets.
- Spray roses with Rose Clear 2 to control pests and diseases.
- Water in well, all newly planted shrubs and perennials.
- Watch out for pests and diseases in all areas and spray when necessary.
- Mow lawns more frequently.
- To give tired lawns a boost, feed with 'Miracle Grow' lawn food.
- Apply a combined feed and week if you have not already done so.
- Harvest Rhubarb regularly- don't allow flower spikes to form.
- Protect soft fruit by covering with netting.
- Place straw under Strawberry plants to protect from slugs.