January Gardening Jobs
After the Christmas rush of fibre optics, trees and tinsel, we can return to focusing the garden centre efforts on gardening.
As the cold short days are upon us, we should make plans for the seasons ahead and catch up on reading some guidance about how to get your garden primed for spring. Our January tips help you to focus on the essential jobs.
Buy new compost for seed sowing.
- Sow seeds directly into modules to save time and space.
-Thoroughly disinfect the greenhouse with Jeyes Fluid before use.
-Prune Wisteria side shoots to encourage flowering.
- Our Winter Flowering shrubs are all looking good now.
Visit the centre to choose some now, you can leave the planting until the weather conditions improve.
Service the lawnmower ready for Spring.
- Keep off them when frosty.
Prune soft fruit shrubs by removing old stems.
- Plant new fruit bushes when ground is not frozen.
Seed potatoes and onion sets will soon be arriving in the garden cenre.
- Dig over plots roughly and allow the frost to break down the 'big lumps'
- Apply Mosskiller like Algon to hard surfaces to prevent slippy paths.
- See December's monthly guide for a list of beautiful flowering plants looking food in January.
Plan which flower seeds you are going to grow in the borders or baskets.
- Fill in any gaps in planted containers with Winter Pansies.
- Check watering of tubs and baskets.
- Check stored bulbs and replace rotting ones.