April Gardening Jobs
Spring is finally here - and the sight of Forsythia, Camelias, Magnolias and other Spring flowers are at their beautiful peak.
Now is a good time to do certain jobs that will help cut down on maintenance for the rest of the year.
The garden centre is now bulging at the sides with everything for the garden.
- A busy time for sowing all sorts in a heated green-house, inclduing tomatoes, peppers, marrows and other vegetable seeds.
-Pot up cuttings of Fuschias and Geraniums.
- Plant out Gladioli, Dahlias and Lillies.
Mix in good planting compost when planting.
- Many varieties of hardy annuals can now be sown outside.
- Apply Spring lawn fertiliser.
- Treat with moss killer.
- Rake out debris (thatch) if you didn't get chance last September.
- Apply grass seed to bare patches.
-It's a great time to plant trees and bushes as the centre is fully stocked.
- Plant out Strawberries and Rhubard now.
- Start to spray Apples and Pears to deter pests and diseases.
- Mulch with manure.
- Sow many vegetable varities.
-Plant out onion sets and potatoes.
Many herbs and vegetable plants are available now.
- Plant trees and shrubs.
- Hardy perennials and herbaceous plants can now be planted.
- Feed all flower borders, after the washout winter, with a slow release fertiliser like chicken manure, rose feed or blood, fish and bone.
- Prune back late flowering shrubs like Buddleia, Lavatera, Clematis, Lavendar and Rosemary.
- Start spraying roses to keep on top of pests and diseases.
- Plant alpines out now- choose from our wide selection.